Monday, July 16, 2018
Adjust Text Size
A- A A+
Translate Site
Idaho Parents Unlimited supports, empowers, educates and advocates to enhance the quality of life for Idahoans with disabilities and their families

Did you know?

Parent Training and Information Centers are found in every state. In fact, they are mandated in IDEA - Part D - Section 671. Family to Family Health Information Centers are also found in every state through the Health Resources Services Administration. VSA affiliates are only found in some states under contracts with the John F. Kennedy Center for Performing Arts. 
IPUL is the only organization in the nation to house all three programs.

We are your trusted source for information, resources, and supports when navigating complex systems in raising a child with a disability or special health care need in Idaho. 

You can make a difference in the lives of children with disabilities by supporting Idaho Parents Unlimited - Contribute today! 

Yes! I want to help!

Transition To Adulthood videos from Family Voices Indiana

Here are ten excellent videos from Family Voices Indiana about making the transition into adulthood.  The topics are widespread, and the videos are all under seven minutes long and packed with good information. 


The ABLE act

With ABLE account programs located through the United States, eligible Idahoans now have a way to save money for education, housing, transportation and more. 
What ABLE account savings may be used for? 
The Social Security Administration does not allow people with disabilities who qualify for SSI to have more than $2,000 in cash resources.  In 2014, Congress passed the ABLE act (529A account) to give people with disabilities the ability to save for:
Housing: Make a deposit on a house or apartment.
Education: Pay for tuition, textbooks, etc.
Employment: Pay for employment supports, such as assistive technology.
Transportation: Purchase a vehicle or pay for transportation to get to work or school. 
How do ABLE accounts work?
  • SSI/SSDI recipients have the ability to establish 529A savings accounts in excess of the $2,000 resource cap. 
  • People with disabilities may save up to $14,000 annually (may not have more than $100,000 total.)
  • Any eligible individual may open an account in any state that maintains an ABLE account program. 
In the 2017 legislature:
  1. The State Independent Living Council will request funding for a position to provide information about ABLE accounts to people with disabilities and families in Idaho.  The position will also provide financial literacy education to people with disabilities. 
  2. Legislation will also be introduced to protect people with disabilities from being ineligible for any state benefit program due to savings within their ABLE account.  
For more information, contact:
Idaho Council on Developmental Disabilities
208-334-2178; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Moving on Idaho Transition Binder

A tool for students and families to plan and get organized as youth prepare to leave high school and move into the adult world. It is our hope that the binder will provide resources which will be useful as you prepare to leave high school and move into the adult world.

The Journey to Life After High School: A Road Map for Parents of Children with Special Needs

Whether you have a middle schooler (11-14), a high schooler (14-18), or even a young adult (18-26), this is a tool for you to use as you begin planning your child’s transition into adulthood. While it can’t cover every detail or every situation, it will give you an overview of what lies ahead and a list of resources for where to go next.

The report has four goals:

  • To inform families about the components of the transition to adulthood
  • To encourage families about the components of the transition to adulthood
  • To explain the choices and changes that makeup the transition process
  • To connect families with the many resources available for helping them transition

The Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law Release Three New Fact Sheets on Supported Employment

The Bazelon Center for Mental Health is pleased to announce the publication of three fact sheets following up on our report, Getting to Work: Promoting Employment of People with Mental IllnessGetting to Work discusses the reasons why states should expand supported employment services to increase employment opportunities for people with mental illness. These fact sheets highlight three key reasons to increase the availability of supported employment that are discussed in more detail in the report. 

The first fact sheet, Supported Employment Works!, highlights the effectiveness of the Individual Placement and Support (IPS) model of supported employment. 

The second fact sheet, Supported Employment Saves Money, summarizes the cost and funding mechanisms for supported employment services.

The third fact sheet, Supported Employment and Olmstead, explains how expanding access to supported employment services helps states comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Olmstead decision.

View our additional employment resources here.

A Guide to Visual Disabilities

How Colleges Help Visually Impaired Students Succeed

Autism at-a-Glance

The two links below are new resources from the Center on Secondary Education for Students with Autism (CSESA). The resources are the first two in an anticipated series from the center and are designed for students with conversational speech and for those supporting students with more significant communication needs:

Supporting Communication in the High School Setting

Supporting Functional Communication in the High School Setting

Building a Bridge From School to Adult Life for Young Adults with Disabilities in Idaho

A manual developed by Idaho Parents Unlimited to help develop post school goals and transition activities.

Download a pdf of Building a Bridge here

Download a Spanish Text only version here

Idaho Department of Health and Welfare Transition Website

Kits are available for youth with special health care needs ages 12-15, 16-18, and 18 and up, along with Parent Companion Guides. These kits assist youth in ensuring their health needs are focused on as part of transitioning to adulthood.

The Idaho Department of Health and Welfare's Transition Website can be accessed here: Idaho Department of Health and Welfare Transition to Adulthood

The Youth's Corner

Click here to see IPUL's two part video created by and for youth volunteers with special health care needs in transition to adulthood.

Employment Information from the State Independent Living Council's Able to Work Program:

Growing Employment Opportunities for People with Disabilities - Able to Work

Youth Transition Resource :


Got Transition? - a website with a great amount of information about transitioning from youth to adult care